The Port of Beirut has resumed partial operations one week after a powerful explosion devastated parts of the Lebanese capital.
According to Lebanon’s caretaker economy minister, Raoul Nehme, the port is now operating to unload vessels for merchants.
“There are 12 cranes out of 16 operating at Beirut port,” Raoul Nehme said in a Twitter post on Wednesday.
All cranes have been inspected and tested for safety, and divers have ensured that the piers were not damaged.
“The flour stocks of the mills in Lebanon are 32,000 tonnes, in addition to 110,000 tonnes that will arrive within two weeks,” Nehme said, adding that the amount was sufficient for four months.
The World Food Programme will also donate 17,000 tonnes of flour, which will be distributed to the affected areas.
Hapag-Lloyd has decided to immediately reinstate its services to the Port of Beirut while Maersk has stated that its next vessel call will be operated at the port.
The German carrier’s Mona Lisa is scheduled to visit Beirut on the Levante Express (LEX) service on August 14 and will also deliver import cargo from the Fleur N, which previously omitted the Beirut call and discharged it at Damietta.
The East Med Express (EME) service will also reinstate its Beirut call, with the CMA CGM Musset to visit the port on August 15.
Maersk, which has confirmed that three of its injured staff members have now recovered, has noted that export acceptance is back to normal and customers can book shipments via its website.