Leipzig/Halle Airport(LEJ) reported air freight volumes in October at 124,881 tonnes, an increase of 10.9 percent compared to the same period 2019.
The growth in October volumes means that air cargo volumes grew by 8.4 percent to more than 1.11 million tonnes during the first ten months of the year. As a result, air cargo volumes at LEJ are growing far above the average figures and in contrast to the negative trend elsewhere in Germany.
In addition LEJ noted a number of recent developments that are expected to positively impact its future cargo operations:
- Amazon Air opened its first regional air cargo centre in Europe at LEJ at the beginning of November. The company is using a newly constructed freight facility measuring 20,000 square metres with direct access to the apron area.
- LEJ offers its customers CEIV Pharma certification. The airport is able to handle temperature- and time-critical pharmaceutical shipments like vaccines round the clock. PortGround GmbH is responsible for this. It is a subsidiary of Mitteldeutsche Flughafen AG and specialises in handling aircraft and cargo. The airport’s refrigerated warehouse is located in the World Cargo Center (WCC). It has direct access to the apron area. This guarantees short transport routes and stable refrigerated chains to and from aircraft and trucks.
- DHL Express operates its largest hub anywhere in the world at LEJ. As many as 2,000 tonnes of goods are handled here every day. LEJ is also the home base airport for AeroLogic, a joint venture involving DHL Express and Lufthansa Cargo.
- Amazon Air opening its first regional air cargo centre in Europe at LEJ at the beginning of November;
- DHL operating its largest hub at LEJ;
- AeroLogic, a joint venture involving DHL Express and Lufthansa Cargo, also being based at LEJ;
- LEJ’s location, which enables it to be accessed by multiple modes of transport.